Special Education Support:
Delaware Design-Lab High School provides screenings and evaluations, appropriate programs and services to all students in need of specially designed instruction and related services without cost to parents. The school provides a comprehensive array of services that include IEPs, specialized classroominstruction by certified special education teachers, as well as many individualized services designed to promote academic and personal progress forthe students.School psychologist, speech/language therapist,occupational therapists, physical therapistare available to students who have been determined eligible under IDEA or Section 504.
An Individualized Education Program(IEP) is designed for a student to succeed in school. The IEP is based on the student’s individual needs and describes the special help the student will receive in school. Students up to age 21 are entitled to special education services.
Parents play a key role in determining the programs and services with which their child will be provided. Parents are encouraged to participate in all aspects of the determination of the appropriateness of their child's special education.
If screening and evaluation show the student does not qualify for an Individualized Education Program(IEP), a 504 plan may be a good alternative. Section 504 is a federal law designed to protect the rights of individuals with disabilities. To be eligible for services and accommodations under Section 504, a student must be determined to have a “physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities in the school setting."
Health and Wellness
Delaware Design-Lab High School employs a full-time School Nurse, Monday to Friday.
School Nurse - Theora Wisher, RN: Theora.Wisher@design-lab.k12.de.us
- Assuring a safe and healthy environment for students and staff will be of the highest importance.
- Administer medications and medical treatments.
- Monitoring student health and maintaining health records.
- Screening for health problems (vision, hearing, orthopedic, etc.).
- Establishing procedures for containing and controlling the spread of infectious diseases
Delaware Design-Lab High School employs a full-time Guidance Counselor, Monday to Friday.
Guidance Counselor, Avery Sherrod / Avery.Sherrod@design-lab.k12.de.us
Delaware Design-Lab High School’s Guidance department provides a comprehensive school guidance counseling program that aligns with the American School Counselor Association national standards. Our mission is to guide students in the areas of academic growth, person/social development, and career/college readiness. Our department offers the skills necessary to support students as lifelong critical thinkers.
School Counselors Provide Support by:
- Advocating for students
- Communicating with students, parents, staff, and the school community
- Collaborating between the school and community stakeholders
- Connecting students with academic support
- Helping the student develop college and career readiness
- Supporting students personal and social development
- Coordinating referrals to support students at home and within school
- Promoting self-advocacy, problem solving skills, and creativity in students